Project Manager / Construction Manager
Iconergy is a growing performance contracting and energy engineering firm headquartered in Denver, Colorado. We are a team of experienced energy engineering and design-build professionals who came together to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the built environment. The PM/CM position is central to our ability to retrofit commercial and industrial facilities via our design-build expertise.
We deliver value to our customers by integrating specialized technical knowledge with outstanding program and project management and delivery. We strive to see the world through our customers’ eyes so that we can advance their agenda in all phases of design and construction.
Iconergy’s Design-Build team maintains a diverse portfolio of exciting retrofit projects. We offer turnkey solutions including performance contracting and other design-build services. Our projects include K-12 schools, recreation centers, higher education, correctional facilities, medical facilities, laboratories, data centers, and other state and local government buildings.
Iconergy seeks to add a dependable Project Manager/Construction Manager to our Design-Build Team. The successful candidate will work with Iconergy’s Project Development team to select and manage our team of subcontractors to deliver excellent customer service, high quality work product, and ensure timely and on-budget completion of our projects.
You will initially service a portfolio of retrofit projects that improve facility operations, especially energy and/or water efficiency. Our projects also incorporate renewable energy whenever possible. The projects often address the following systems: HVAC, controls, water fixtures, lighting, ancillary systems and equipment (distributed generation, cooking kitchens, pools, etc.), and renewable energy (solar PV, solar thermal, etc.) systems. These projects improve the occupancy conditions inside the facilities while reducing operating and maintenance costs and the use of natural resources.
You will begin working in projects already in design and/or underway as our PM/CMs frequently carry multiple projects simultaneously. The amount of site work varies depending on if a project has a superintendent assigned to it or not. For projects with no super, our PMs are often on site four or five days per week. As Iconergy’s project portfolio grows, you may manage site superintendents for one or more of the sites for which you are responsible.
You will serve as the face of Iconergy to our customers and partners, which includes the site facility staff and our subcontractors. We are looking for someone who will maintain high levels of professional standards and relay information about the project to other members of the Iconergy team and the facility staff.
Your work will be critically important to both our internal team and to our customers. You will dictate the critical path and lead the project to completion. Your ability to communicate effectively, to make well-informed decisions fairly independently, and to deliver on your commitments will directly affect our collective success.
A day in the life of the successful candidate:
You will serve as the day-to-day liaison between the customer, Iconergy staff, and our partners. For example, you will:
- Manage all project budgeting, scheduling, billing, and reporting requirements to insure successful project execution performance.
- Supervise and motivate the project specific subcontracting team to meet our target schedule, regularly updating the schedule.
- Coordinate internally with Iconergy staff to plan for and receive the support needed to fulfill the project from cradle to grave.
- Develop strong relationships with staff at the facility, especially the customer’s leadership team and their lead facility staff person, by managing expectations and providing regular updates.
- Communicate daily with Iconergy staff to review the status of the project, highlight any concerns, and develop approaches to address them.
- Coordinate, prepare and lead scheduled update meetings with facility staff, subcontractors, customer staff, and Iconergy staff.
These roles will require you to adjust your communication style to effectively interface with a wide range of Iconergy, customer, and partners, sometimes about sensitive issues.
You will also provide service in a quality control role, ensuring that we meet and exceed the customer’s expectations. For example, you will:
- Ensure that the technical work done by the subcontractors meets specifications.
- Deliver project status reports that detail contractor performance, progress toward current schedule, open issues, and action items.
- Update the schedule as it evolves. (This may be done in MS Excel or, preferably, Microsoft Project.)
- Understand and deliver on safety programs developed by Iconergy and the customer.
- Identify and qualify any potential changes in scope and coordinate with the project team to implement the changes via the appropriate contractual process.
You will work with a team that encourages and supports you to:
- Work independently
- Take pride in the work that you do.
- Create processes to complete tasks where no process previously existed.
- Think critically about different approaches and implement the ones that are most appropriate for the situation.
- Practice and refine your leadership skills on a daily basis.
·Openly discuss concerns and propose solutions to address them.
Special Site Considerations
Working in public facilities requires a certain sensibility. For example, you may need to:
- Be cognizant of your surroundings and on guard at all times.
- Adhere to strict protocols established by the customer regarding interactions with occupants and management of the construction team’s equipment.
- Be ready to adapt to changing situations and the unique considerations that exist in different parts of the facility.
- Treat everyone that you encounter with dignity while completing your professional responsibilities efficiently.
The successful candidate’s background will look something like this:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or relevant field of study (other degrees will be considered with appropriate work experience). Candidates with more than 20 years of relevant work experience may be considered without a Bachelor’s Degree.
- 10 or more years of work experience in construction management, including previous experience managing projects of $1,000,000+. Prior design-build and/or performance contracting experience a plus. Work experience with and in aforementioned public facility types highly preferred.
- Technically savvy with a thorough understanding of electrical, HVAC, and plumbing systems. Understanding of building envelope, structural, and other systems a plus.
- Demonstrated excellence in communication (written and oral) in English. Conversational skills in Spanish a plus.
- Demonstrated success in working with high performance teams. Experience with P3 and design-build-operate projects a plus.
- Experience with selection interviews, estimating project budgets and providing final pricing development, subcontractor selection and contracting, negotiating equipment procurement pricing, and project closeout.
- Proficiency with measurement and verification, energy/water efficiency, and renewable energy systems is also a plus.
- Proficiency with MS Excel, Word, Outlook, and MS Project or other construction scheduling software. Skills in Visio or SketchUp a plus.
- Projects may be located anywhere in Rocky Mountain region (especially Colorado and surrounding states) and, at times, elsewhere.
The ideal candidate will also fulfill the following:
- Pass NCIC background check (required).
- Pass an initial drug test and subsequent random drug tests (required).
- Hold a valid drivers license and provide your own mode of transportation (required).
- Hold a general contractor B or equivalent license in one or more states.
- Completed OSHA 10-hour or 30-hour Construction training (preferred)
This position will require you to frequently stand; walk; and reach with arms and/or hands. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, you will be regularly required to sit for long periods of time; talk or hear; perform fine motor, hand and finger skills in the use of a keyboard, telephone, or writing. You will also be required to lift up to 50 pounds on a regular basis.
We value teammates who are committed to the Iconergy team and adaptable to potential shifts in the specifics of their role. Our positions are similar to those at other growing firms: they are functions of the marketplace and, therefore, dynamic. We have described the position as it is forecasted from today through the next twelve months. We are constantly evolving our services and also addressing client requests that may change the description in a number of ways over time.
Employment benefits at Iconergy include a company cell phone, 401K, health/vision/dental insurance, paid time off, short- and long-term disability, an RTD pass, monthly gym membership stipend, and performance incentives, among others.
Please submit the following documents to careers@iconergyCO.com
Resume and Cover Letter – Help us understand why you are the right fit for our team. Tell a story, highlight your most applicable skills, do whatever you think will capture the essence of what you will bring to the table.
Iconergy is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity. We encourage applications from all demographics and especially those that are traditionally under-represented in engineering and construction.
Iconergy is an energy efficiency and sustainability firm comprised of experienced energy engineering and design/build professionals who have come together through their shared commitment to excellence in program and project management as well as technical skills and delivery, with offices in Boulder and Downtown Denver.
Iconergy is seeking engineering intern(s) responsible for supporting various commercial building energy HVAC and energy engineering projects, including commissioning, data analysis / data logging / data trending, computer programming, energy audits, retrocommissioning, design-build retrofit projects, and other types of commercial and industrial facility energy management and energy efficiency analysis. These projects will range in size and complexity while balancing internal project deadlines, client needs, and Iconergy’s Project Managers’ needs. Iconergy interns can provide some energy engineering solutions independently but also are more frequently called on to collaborate with and support both colleagues and clients.
- University student at the junior or higher level, working towards an engineering degree.
- Applicable engineering degrees include mechanical, architectural, computer science building/energy systems.
- Non-engineering students may also be qualified via alternative academic degrees (e.g. physics, applied mathematics), work experience (e.g. programmer), et cetera
- Demonstrated experience with analysis of field data and/or statistical analysis.
- Demonstrated excellence in communication (written and oral) and organizational skills.
- Moderate to advanced skills in MS Excel, Word, Outlook, Access, etc.
- Programming skills in VBA, SQL, Axon, or other relevant analysis languages and tools are a plus.
- Willingness for some travel, potentially including overnight travel (historically <20%)
- Must have access to reliable personal transportation for travel.
- Industrial, facilities, or energy or water efficiency a plus.
If interested, please send a resume and cover letter to Iconergy at: careers@iconergyCO.com
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. This position is for part-time (16-20 hours/ week) during the Spring and Fall semesters and 30-40 hours / week in the Summer. This is a paid position and the selected candidate will be paid hourly for work performed.